Neighborhood Associations & Resources
- Brook-wood Terrace
- Campus Community Association in Naglee Park
- Downtown Residents Association
- Hensley Historic District, with the largest concentration of Victorians in San Jose
- Horace Mann
- Julian and St. James
- Northside Neighborhood Association San Jose’s oldest neighborhood association
- Rosemary Gardens Neighborhood Association
- South University Neighborhood
- Vendome Neighborhood Association
- United Neighborhoods of Santa Clara County
- Downtown Neighborhood Leadership Forum (DNLF)
San Jose Sites
- The City of San Jose Home Page
- San Jose Planning Office, with links to all planning activities. This is an informative and useful place to go.
- San Jose Parks, Recreation & Neighborhood Services
- San Jose Redevelopment Agency – Now coming to a neighborhood near you
- The San Jose Downtown Association
- The San Jose Convention and Visitors Bureau
- SanJose.com, the Boulevards Guide to Greater San Jose
- San Jose Beautiful
- Walk San Jose
- Department of Parks, Recreation & Neighborhood Services Phone List
- San Jose Neighborhood Trouble Shooter
Ideas for Making the Neighborhood a better place:
- Urban Parks Online an incredible resource for ideas on fundraising, park use, and community involvement. First Friday chat room to support local efforts
- Project for Public Spaces
- Talk of the Nation – 1 hour discussion on pedestrian rights, traffic calming
- Urban Planning from the University of Hawaii
- Making Streets That Work from the city of Seattle
- Bike Plan resource on traffic calming
- Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program for the city of Palo Alto
- Traffic engineering site for city of Sacramento
- Innovative products for traffic calming and traffic engineering
- Eden Neighborhood page with samples of traffic calming
- Guide to traffic calming and neighborhood traffic management, and how they can be used to reduce speeds, reduce traffic volumes, and improve safety in residential neighborhoods
- Traffic calming information library of information
Write to your elected officials:
- District 3 City Councilwoman Cindy Chavez, website
- County Supervisor Blanca Alvarado
- Assemblyman Manny Diaz
- State Senator John Vasconcellos or email
- California Governor Grey Davis site or email
- US Representative Zoe Lofgren, website
- US Senator Diane Feinstein
- US Senator Barbara Boxer
- President George W. Bush
- Vice President Dick Cheney
- Santa Clara County
- Santa Clara County Parks (w/ maps of all parks)
- Midpeninsula Regional Openspace District (w/ hiking trail maps)
- Bay Trail (w/ trail maps)
- Bay Area Ridge Trail
- California State Parks
- National Park Service
- Santa Clara Valley Water District (SCVWD)
- Satellite, aerial photographs of the Bay Area.
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) bus routes, train schedules, bike route maps, and more.
- SF Bay Regional Transit Information: trains, buses, airports, ferries, etc.
- U S Post Office: postal rates, look up zip codes, etc.
Important Environmental Links
- San Jose Forecast (National Weather Service)
- Current Conditions at San Jose State
- Rainfall map for the past 24 hrs.
- Recent earthquakes in the Bay Area (w/ immediate updates).
Other interesting connections:
- Market Street Chinatown Archaeological Project
- Sanborn Insurance Maps from 1867 to 1970
- California Room a great resource for history of older neighborhoods.
- Victorian Preservation Association (with information about historic homes in the area, and “how-to” information for homeowners).
- The Craftsman Home
- SharkByte Art fundraiser
- House Paint – Use these tips and resources to select the best colors for your exterior house painting project
- Ideas on color and painting your home from Glidden
- Help on selecting colors for your home from AmeriPro
- Andy Frazer provides cool infrared photos of historic places
Craftsman Home Links
- Bungalow References materials page
- American Bungalow in the interest of preserving and restoring the modest American 20th century home, the BUNGALOW, and the rich lifestyle that it affords.
- Treasure trove of interesting, unique designs that will complement your home from the Craftsman Home
- Stickley Museum Shop The Shop offers books and art objects based on the ideas and designs of the American Arts and Crafts Movement of roughly 100 years ago, and its primary exponent, Gustav Stickler.
- Twin Cities Bungalow Club whose mission is to provide information on cottages, bungalows, Arts & Crafts and all that is linked to the American bungalow – the first truly American housing style
University Neighborhoods Coalition
P.O. Box 639
San Jose, CA 95106-0639